Updated Website Notice

This blog will be ending soon. All future and past posts will be available at http://stentzelphotography.com/blog. Please update your bookmarks. Thanks!

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Longtime wish

Since I moved to southern california I have wanted to photograph the Blimp Hangers in Tustin. I used to pass them on the freeway and would say one day I'll shoot those! I was lucky enough to have the chance the other night.

They are massive! Here is some info I googled on them: This field was originally built as a blimp base in 1942 as Santa Ana Naval Air Station. At first 6, then 12 blimps operated out of the station. The large, all-wood hangers were built to house the blimps and at the time of their construction were and still are the world's largest clear span wooden buildings. The hangars are each more than 1,000 feet long & 300 feet wide.”